Wednesday, December 12, 2007
A Supplement That Actually Does Something
Today's post is stolen from my good friend Keith Scott of KeithScottTraining.com.
I agree 100% with what he said and wanted to share it with you in case you have been living under a rock and haven't started taking fish oil yet.
The INCREDIBLE Benefits of Fish Oil
By Keith Scott
If you don’t supplement with fish oil then you are missing out on one of the best researched, most effective and important supplements on the market. Before I start with the benefits, a quick explanation of what fish oil is might help to start this off in the right direction.
Fish oil is derived mostly from the fatty tissues of cold water, fatty fish such as mackerel, herring, trout, sardines, and albacore tuna. Fish oil is considered an essential fatty acid (EFA) and contains mostly the omega 3 fatty acid.
With each day that goes by, there seems to be more and more research out there claiming another great benefit of supplementing with fish oil. To summarize the gist of what has been written and research in a few words; this stuff is pretty amazing!
Reported Benefits of Supplementing with Fish Oil:
• Fat Loss and improved body composition – Research has shown that fish oil seems to turn on the body’s fat burning mechanism and even better, it was shown that most of the fat loss was in the abdominal region. Yes, your belly fat!
• Fights Inflammation – reduces the inflammation causing substances in the body. Inflammation will kill you eventually. It wreaks havoc on your body and long term health. Not to mention it is responsible for painful conditions around the body. Fish oil can help with muscle soreness and joint pain
• Improves cardiovascular health –Fish oil lowers triglycerides, reduces the likely hood of blood clots, can lower high blood pressure & reduces the chance of stroke.
• Mental Health – Fish oil has been reported to reduce depression, and elevate the mood. It was even found that fish oil supplementation in children with ADHD dramatically improved their symptoms and in some children, allowed them to get off of all medication for the disorder.
• Healthy Eyes - Fish Oil fights Macular Degeneration, Glaucoma and dry-eye syndrome
• Boosts the immune system
• Can increase sex drive
• Helps with menstrual pain
• Improves digestion
• Fights Osteoporosis
• Helps to prevent cancer
• Lowers the risk of developing Alzheimer’s Disease
• Helps with Asthma
• Helps with Multiple Sclerosis symptoms
• Helps with skin problems – Eczema, and psoriasis
• Helps with Diabetes
• Can lower stress
• Reduces headaches
• Helps with Fibromyaglia
Personally, I have been taking it for over 2 years and have noticed amazing changes. I feel better day to day with less muscular pain and joint pain…even after lifting heavy weights. I also seem to handle stress better, and am usually in a good mood.
The evidence is there. Do your own research if you must, but in my opinion, this supplement is a must for everyone.