Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Band of the Week


"Dude, you just got that chicks number?!"

"Yeah. Why are you saying it like that?"

"Cuz she's not even 21 you moron!"

"WHAT?! How do you figure? She looks at least 25. You checked her ID and determined that it was fake?"

"No wristband, Einstein!"

"Aaaaooooo...That can't be good. Well, why are their underage girls in here? Isn't this a bar?"

"Dude, what time did you start drinking? It's The Stone Pony, it's a concert venue, first and foremost, you know that. They let anyone in."

"Well I don't think Bruce should be letting underage girls in here. Doesn't he own this place now? I mean talk about Badlands, that's nothing but trouble right there. She was just Dancing In The Dark so it was kinda hard to tell. Then she whispered that she wanted to take me to her Secret Garden and show me her Tunnel of Love. She invited me back to her place and-"

"Yeah, I know, she lives on Thunder Road and you were gonna show her The Rising, right? Cuz, what, you're On Fire? I'm from Jersey too, you retard, I know all of Bruce's songs too. And by the way, it's not remotely funny. Go get us another drink."

"Well, actually I was gonna go with I'm Going Down."

"Shut up!"

"Ok..."

With that I sifted through a sea of hot young females en route to the bar. Since I was too drunk to try to spot the wristbands or lack thereof on their wrists, I kept my head down and thought about Rosie O'Donnell naked. Luckily, when I returned to my friends, one of my favorite bands had finally taken the stage.

State Radio is fronted by Chad Stokes, one of the two lead singers from Dispatch, who broke up five years ago. As many people know, music is one of my biggest obsessions in life and I can't exist in silence without music for more than a few minutes at a time. As such, I like to share some good recommendations with you guys from time to time.

Since I have the pleasure of knowing everyone who's anyone in the fitness/ strength & conditioning industry and many of them are my close friends, I can't say that I know more about training than anyone I know. But I can say I know more about music than anyone I know.

Although many people think I listen to nothing but Slayer and NWA the fact of the matter is that when I am not training and have an incredibly wide variety of musical tastes.

State Radio is socially conscious jam rock which the band describes as Bob Marley meets Rage Against The Machine. They had rapidly been becoming one of my favorite bands but after the incredible performance I witnessed this Sunday, they have moved up the ranks even higher. Chad sounded exactly like he does on his records and the guitar was on point and powerful.

If you get a chance to see them live, I highly recommend it. If not, check them out on iTunes or at http://www.stateradio.com/.

I recommend Mr. Larkin, Right Me Up, Camilo, State I and I, and People To People as a good starting point of songs to download.

Shoot me and email and let me know what you think. I'll be back with some training info tomorrow.

Jay